Sorry to all of you who keep up with my blog for the lags in post (all 2 of you still reading, that is). My only excuse for my lack of posting can be summed up in one Kiswahili word: nimezoea (by English: I have become accustomed). All the things I used to think were so strange (by my American standards) have become the norm. When I first arrived in country, things like marriage proposals, pooping myself, strange foods, carrying water, shady buses filled to the brim with way too many people, etc. all seemed unbelievable to me, definitely things to write home about. Now, you could hand me a chicken or baby on a bus, whip out your nipple in front of me to breast feed your child, hold my hand while walking with me, ask me for my hand in marriage, yell at me, point at me, stare at me and you won’t even get a flinch. Sometimes it scares me just how accustomed to things I’ve become.
The past month I have watched most people who live around me leave. I have been to countless going away parties. Iringa (my banking town) was a social hub filled with volunteers who extended their service, RPCVs, and ex-pats. None of these people lead a very permanent lifestyle, and they have all recently all left. This, and the class (PC is very high school-ish, we are divided into the group, or class, of people we came here with) ahead of mine going home has made me slightly homesick. We’ve still got Glenn, Geneva and myself holding down the Iringa fort and our replacements coming TODAY, so not all is lost. Based on the Peace Corps as high school model, I have officially become a senior
I have a little over 3 months remaining, which isn’t the shortest amount of time, but compared to the 27 months I signed on for means I only have 11% of my service remaining. Which means I have completed 89% of my service, which IS a big number (I know, good math there).
One day I am going to write a reflective blog post on my time here/what I’ve learned. Because I am struggling so much to think of things to write about today, here’s a video brought to you by the Iringa crew while we were getting ready for the new volunteers’ arrival.