Before I start this entry I want to give everyone who donated or spread the word about my project a HUGE THANK YOU!!! The project was fully funded last week. I am going to ask Peace Corps to give me a list of donors (if this is possible) so I can write you personal thank yous, but until then, sending you all my love.
Other than thank you, I started this post with nothing in particular to say so maybe I will just stream of conscience this one with random thoughts of recent days:
- I haven’t cut my hair or even trimmed it since September 2010. It is BIG!
- I called my friend Dani the other day and asked what she was doing. “I am making a refrigerator,” she said. “From what?” I asked. “Water and a bucket of sand,” she replied. Ha, I love Peace Corps.
- Do black people get skin cancer?
- One of the questions I asked on my Form I midterm exam was: List five examples of laboratory safety rules. One of the answers I got was: “don’t experiment on the teacher.” I didn’t mention this rule in class but he got full marks.
- I didn’t set foot in America in the year 2011. Crazy.
- What the heck is The Hunger Games? I feel so culturally unaware.
- I am almost 25. This seems old.
- Apparently another white girl came to my village yesterday. I have been told that she is still here, she has already left, she is from Argentina, she is from Norway, her name is Jennifer, her name is Geneva, she came with her own private car, she came on a bus, etc. So who can really be sure? Apparently we look alike, kumbe (surprise!). Maybe I’ll play find the mzungu later.
- Mountain Dew. A soda that one could only find in the cities of Tanzania one year ago has exploded in the last month. The whole country has gone Mountain Dew crazy. Strange. I wish it was diet coke.
- Chicken schwarma is my favorite food—possibly ever. Is this something that exists outside Dar es Salaam? I don’t know, but I hope so!
- I don’t think I have gotten any mail since November. Maybe the next time I go to town there will be lots of things…or maybe not…but here’s to hoping.
- Have you ever travelled in a small motorboat with 4 people and 5 goats? I have!
- I think America should take a note from Tanzania and get ice cream bike boys. Like the ice cream truck in the states, but on bikes so they can go more places! And with no annoying song.
- Put your hands up in the air, put your hands up. In the air. (that song has been in my head all day)
Ok, I am going to stop now. Maybe this week I will work on a blog entry that isn’t complete jibberish, thanks for reading that though.